Windows 7,8,10 Upgrade Script 2.5.0

(2 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

This script will upgrade copies of Windows to whatever Windows 10 ISO you give it.  You will need to upload the Windows 10 ISO to your LTShare/Transfer/ folder(by default in the /ISO/ sub folder). For Windows 7 installs, you must put a copy of 7z.dll and 7z.exe in your LTShare/Transfer/ folder(by default in the \Software\7ZipCLI\ sub folder). This is because it extracts the ISO since Windows 7 can't mount it. I recommend a 32bit copy because they work for both 32 and 64bit. You can download the 7-Zip installer and open it with 7-Zip like a zip file to extract just those files without bothering to install it.

You can now also use an EDF to specify a UNC path to get the ISO from instead of downloading from the CWA server. The EDF is located under the TNE - Setup tab called TNE - Windows 10 ISO Location under the location screen. Double click on a location to find it. This should be in the format of \\server\iso, no trailing slash. If you put domain computer permissions on the share and the folder the CWA agent shouldn't have a problem copying it.

image.png.a983920e3351a2874a87de4e8ca1dbfa.png

Also just added, the script will now check to see if the ISO is in place before running, so you can create a script to preload the ISO.

Now supports Windows 10, 8, and 7. Sorry, no Windows 9 support at this time.

Thanks to @Slartibartfast, @johnduprey, and the rest of the community for contributions and bug reports.

More details and discussion can be found on the forum post:

If you are downloading the ISO directly from your CWA server, I might recommend the below to rate limit it. It is a script that will rate limit how many computers are running it at once. Of course, that will slow deploy, so you have to be careful not to accidentally run it on to many and cause it to run outside of maintenance hours.

What's New in Version 2.5.0   See changelog

Released

New in this update is the ability to use UNC paths to do the update. Coming with that is a location EDF called TNE - Windows 10 ISO Location under the tab of TNE - Setup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@Farhan Khalid Thanks for the suggestion. You are right, I didn't do a good job of directing users where to change that. It's a location based EDF. If you double click on a location(not a client), then go to the Info tab, then TNE Setup, there's an EDF there to be updated.

Thank you, i found  solution. I got error on one system script failed due to pending windows updates therefore i need a script which fulfil pre-requisites before upgrading to windows 10.

Hi, Happy new year!!!

Can you please guide me if we can modify and  download windows 10 ISO directly from internet by providing web link in script instead of downloading from LTShare or UNC path.

Line 31 would need to be modified. Instead of being "File Download" it needs to be "File Download URL".

Edited by danialbulloch

I get an error when opening the script "Error loading script:Syntax error: Missing operand after 'd259' operator.". I also can only see the first 17 lines of the script.

2020-01-03_8-21-56.jpg

Interestingly, we had an unrelated issue a while later which caused us to reboot the Automate server. I just checked the script again and see what appears to be the full 110 lines of the script with no error. The reboot must have done the trick. Now to see if I can get some machines on 1903!

Oh, it could have been that you needed to do a Reload System Cache. Basically your computer didn't know about the EDF, but the server did. Restarting the server caused you to restart your client which forced a cache reload.

I get a weird error when trying to upgrade Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10 1903. I've attached two screenshots of the errors. The first one comes, as a BSOD when approaching around 90% in the Working on Updates part of the installation. Afterwards, it reverts to Windows 7, and upon logging in, it comes with the second attached screenshot...

Any ideas of what's wrong? I've tried a gazillion things... *SIGH*

7AF0FAD6-C7A5-414A-A871-15391DABA83A.thumb.JPG.2399a4485bbcb3cbb173d35cdeaaacc1.JPG

It says "Critical Process Died"

1047377868_2020-01-0917_00_50-TLA-T450-ConnectWiseControl-Connected.thumb.png.a20da6544aaf83dc78f76d6c1f7fc8e8.png

Here it says: 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D
Installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT Phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operations.

Have tried everything from SFC /SCANNOW to uninstalling and/or updating drivers/software/windows updates etc... I cannot fathom why this happens... 

Any ideas would be welcome. 

Thanks in advance! 

I'm not sure. I've never seen that before. It is possible there is a problem with the harddrive, since it is failing at the data migration stage. Perhaps some data it cannot read?

We have seen multiple Windows 7 > Windows 10 upgrades fail due to hardware and/or drivers. Try updating or removing all device drivers. This includes Intel drivers, which have been most of our issue. We also had one machine that would fail every time while the wireless card was installed. It completed without issue once the wireless card and its software was removed.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:54 PM, clittle said:

We have seen multiple Windows 7 > Windows 10 upgrades fail due to hardware and/or drivers. Try updating or removing all device drivers. This includes Intel drivers, which have been most of our issue. We also had one machine that would fail every time while the wireless card was installed. It completed without issue once the wireless card and its software was removed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

When you say, removing the wireless card - do you mean, open the laptop up, and removing it, or 'just' disabling it from the BIOS?

I'll give the suggestions a try and report back - thanks.

In the case of the wireless adapter, it was a desktop with a USB connected wireless adapter. I don't remember the model but it did explicitly claim support for Windows 10 and had the latest driver and software installed. We never could do the upgrade with it plugged in. We eventually had to unplug it and uninstall all of its software to complete the upgrade.

First off let me say thanks to those that worked on this script and also special thanks to @danialbulloch for assisting me today. 

My issue was the file 7z.exe I mistakenly used the downloaded installer and not the 7z.exe that is in place after the installation.  If you do it this way you may get an exit code "Command results: WARNING: Unknown exit code. (Code: 0x)".... this also shows nicely in the email alert.

Testing with the corrections so that I can be another confirmed installation success.  Update to follow.

I have to say I have very good results from this script, we don't upgrade Windows 7 systems with it only WINDOWS 10. I use Sharepoint to host the file for users that can't reach a DC. I create a cache folder on \\blah.local\NETLOGON\cache and copy the latest ISO there so everyone has access and add the \\blah.local to the Extra 1 field. Mad props to the creators of this has saved me soooo much time.

Hell0 - I've been running the script for a while now with no issues. Recently I'm coming across the following error code and I haven't found a resolution. Anyone have any suggestions? The media for the upgrade is copied from the local file server to the PC temp folder and then I get this message. Then an hour later I'm notified the upgrade didn't go through.

The results for the upgrade are as follows:
Script kicked off the install, so far so good. Check command results below for more details and potential issues.
Command results: WARNING: Unknown exit code. (Code: 0x80070005)

Thanks!

Edited by NathanAllen