Domain Computers without Automate Agent 3.0

(4 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

This RAWSQL monitor uses data from the Active Directory Plugin to check for active AD Computer Accounts with a Windows OS that have recent logon times, and that do not have an Automate Agent installed. This is helpful to identify computers that were joined to the domain without the proper procedure, or computers that your agent deployment has not succeeded in reaching. The alert will be targeted against a probe computer for each client, you will need to read the alert body (or subject) to find out the name of the computer without an agent. Because the alerting is "Probe" centric, be aware of the following:

If you enable group targeting, and your targeting excludes the probe computer for a client, no machines will be reported for that client.
If you have no probe at any location for a client, no machines will be reported for that client.

The alerts now are applied against the DC used for the AD information gathering, so it no longer generates alerts using probe agents.
If you Exclude or Ignore the "computer", you are really excluding the Probe AD Controller Computer, and if you do this no machines will be reported for that client.
There is no simple way to Whitelist machines that do not have an agent installed on purpose. You will just have to live with them being reported. To prevent a computer from triggering an alert if it should not have an agent, just update the computer description in Active Directory to have the word "Exclude". Examples: "Exclude From MSP Management" , "Excluded from Automate Agent deployment", etc.

To Import: In Control Center, open Tools -> Import -> SQL File. (System->General->Import->SQL File in Automate 12) Select the file, and you should be asked to import 2 statements. (Cancel if it tells you a different number). The Monitor will be named "Domain Computer Without Automate Agent", and it should run every 6 hours. If you already have this monitor, you can safely import and it will apply the updates to your existing monitor.

Keywords: active directory domain joined computer object account missing labtech automate agent machine monitor

What's New in Version 3.0   See changelog

Released

Big Fixes!

• In my testing, query is about 10x faster than the previous version!
  • Computers can now be ignored by updating the description in Active Directory, no need to hardcode exceptions for computers that are intentionally ignored.
  • Easily modifiable Major.Minor version check to ignore specific Windows versions (XP/2003).
  • Correctly associates computers in child domains to the correct domain controller (prevents computers in a child domain from reporting as missing from the root domain).
  • Correctly associates missing computers to domain controller that reported them (resolves a potential issue when two clients have identically named domains).
  • Associates alerts to the DC that reported information, not just a random Probe or Server computer. (Before the lowest server ID was used).
  • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is a great idea! @DarrenWhite99 I downloaded v1.0.1, but it doesn't seem to limit the results to machines running Windows as the query results lists devices such as QNAPs. Should this be working out of the box?

On 6/25/2018 at 5:31 AM, lgs141 said:

This is a great idea! @DarrenWhite99 I downloaded v1.0.1, but it doesn't seem to limit the results to machines running Windows as the query results lists devices such as QNAPs. Should this be working out of the box?

The 2.0 version is between 3 and 60 times faster (It dropped my queries from 6-15 minutes down to 15-30 seconds) and includes the OS limit. I think I may have accidentally uploaded the wrong file for 1.0.1, because when I downloaded it I didn't see the OS limit in there.

Give the new version a try and it should be much faster in addition to excluding non Windows OS computers.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:32 AM, jcd51989 said:

Stopped working after while can't seem to figure out why?

Can you define "stopped working"? No results? Or Build and View fails? If you don't have the latest version, you should re-download and install it as I improved the speed. It is looking for computers that have logged into the AD Domain "recently". If you AD plugin has broken somehow and you aren't getting updated computer information, the monitor will not find any agents to report.

The above error message is because the AD Plugin is not installed. This monitors uses data gathered by the AD Plugin, and will not work without it.

@DarrenWhite99

Apart from activating this monitor, activated "LT - New Computer Detected* ".

I receive a list of every device ( phones, some network devices and some number)

how can i explain to this monitor to return only ( computers) which has been connected to the network.

This monitor is not sniffing the network or “detecting” devices. It works by comparing AD information (gathered by the AD plugin) to see which Windows machines on the domain have been recently active and comparing this to Automate agents. It is designed to only notify you regarding Domain joined Windows systems, where you actually could install an agent. There is no point in alerting that a new Access Point or Printer is “missing an agent”. It cannot return anything that isn’t joined to the domain. If you are getting alerts like that they must be coming from somewhere else.

Is this monitor still working? I imported successfully but am not receiving any results. Tried build and view query but nothing happens. Was something supposed to be changed in the .sql before import?

Edited by D3m0nicSoul